Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission

Author: Elizabeth Stuart

1.  Consideration of Minutes  Click Here for August 13th Minutes 

2.  Chair’s Report — Tom Egan

a.  November Meeting Date Change  Click Here for Calendar

3.  Director’s Report — Dan Morrill  Click Here for Director’s Report 

4.  Senior Preservation Planner’s Report — Stewart Gray

a.  Public Hearings for Historic Landmark Designation:

i.  Antioch Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery, 3712 Monroe Road, Charlotte, N.C.
Click Here for S&R Report

ii.  Reginald Armistice Hawkins House, 1703 Madison Avenue, Charlotte, N.C.
Click Here for S&R Report
The HLC should defer the public hearing for this property. 

iii.  Albert Wallace Log House, 9425 Robinson Church Road, Charlotte, N.C.
Click Here for S&R Report

iv.  The De-Designation of a Portion of the Hennigan Place, 3503 Tilley Morris Road, Charlotte, N.C.
Click Here for S&R Report with Addendum

5.  Design Review Committee Report — Garrett Nelson

The Design Review Committee did not meet since the last HLC meeting, but is scheduled to meet on September 26.  

6.  Survey Committee Report — Jeff Parsons

The Survey Committee did not meet since the last HLC meeting, but is scheduled to meet on September 20. 

7.  Treasurer’s Report — Nathan Clark  Click Here for August 2018 Project Budget

8.  Projects Committee Report — Len Norman  Click Here for Projects Committee Minutes

a. Charles E. Barnhardt House, 3217 Maymont Place, Charlotte, N.C.
Click Here for Historic Photographs of the Landscaping at the Barnhardt House

Charles E. Barnhardt House

THE PROJECTS COMMITTEE PRESENTS A SECONDED MOTION TO RECOMMEND TO THE HISTORIC LANDMARKS COMMISSION THAT IT AUTHORIZE THE EXPENDITURE OF $5,150 FOR THE PREPARATION OF THE NATIONAL REGISTER NOMINATION FORM FOR THE CHARLES E. BARNHARDT HOUSE, 3217 MAYMONT PLACE, CHARLOTTE, N.C.

b. Torrence Lytle School, 302 Holbrooks Road, Huntersville, N.C.

Torrence Lytle School

The Projects Committee reached a consensus that Dr. Morrill should approach Laurel Street Developers for purposes of identifying consultants that might assist the Commission in identifying funding sources for affordable housing at the Torrence Lytle School.

c. Excelsior Club, 921 Beatties Ford Road, Charlotte, N.C.

This matter will be discussed in closed session.

Excelsior Club

9.  Old Business

10.  New Business




July 30, 2018

The Historic Landmarks Commission is working on bringing Streetcar No. One back to Charlotte.

Streetcar Number One

This streetcar was built in Philadelphia by the J. G. Brill Company soon after 1900. It was sold to the City of Athens, Greece, and operated there for many years. It came to Charlotte in 1989 after being restored in Guilford, Connecticut. 

Streetcar Number One in “Never on Sunday”

It appeared in the movie “Never on Sunday,” which can be viewed in its entirety on YouTube. The streetcar is extremely rare; there are fewer than a dozen cars of this vintage in the world. More information will be provided as efforts to bring the streetcar to Charlotte unfold. 


July 30, 2018

The Historic Landmarks Commission will become the owner of Ingleside, located at 7225 Bud Henderson Road, Huntersville, N.C., in about a month. 

Ingleside

The house is a magnificent remnant of the Old South. It is the finest example of Italianate style architecture in Mecklenburg County, and was the home of Dr. William Davidson and Mary Johnston Davidson. 

The Commission is still exploring options for future use of the property – possibly public use or a private residence.