The Historic Landmarks Commission continues to work on a preservation strategy for the VanLandingham Estate in Plaza Midwood. It too is a challenge. The fundamental issue is how to make saving the estate economically viable.
Projects Committee Meeting
October 7, 2016
1. Report of the Projects Committeee Chair — John Shurley
2. Report of the HLC Chair — Len Norman
3. Report of the Consulting Director — Dan Morrill
4. Update on the Walters Barbershop. 112-114 South Main Street, Huntersville, N.C.
The prospective buyer has deposited the earnest money and is currently in his 60-day examination period.
5. Update on the Charles E. Barnhardt House. 2733 Country Club Lane, Charlotte, N.C. The Commission has submitted a contract to purchase. The owner has commented on the contract. HLC Attorney Sandy Carneigie has responded to the owner’s comments. Mike Ogburn has visited the property to begin his appraisal.
6. Update on General Motors New Look Bus.
Staff has been working to obtain an estimate on the installation of air conditioning for the bus. Staff estimates that the Commission will be asked to authorize the expenditure of additional money to upfit the bus. So far the Commission has spent $49,244. The Commission has authorized the expenditure of up to $50,000 for the upfit of the bus. Click Here For A Video Of The General Motors New Look Bus
Staff has submitted the draft of an agreement to CATS for storage and routine maintenance of the bus.
7. Consideration Of An Offer To Purchase The Delburg Mill House. 303 Delburg St., Davidson, N.C. The Commission has received an offer to purchase the house. The Committee will consider its recommendation to the Commission.
8. Update of the Phillips House and Morris Barn. 131 W. Charles St., Matthews, N.C.
Brian Jenest will be working with the Commission to plan a community meeting to seek input regarding future development options for the property. Click Here For A Video Of The Phillips House And Morris Barn
9. Discussion of Marketing Strategy for the Edward M. Rozzel Farm. 11647 Old Rozzelles Ferry Rd., Charlotte, N.C.
Staff will be producing a document setting forth parameters for development of the property. An appraisal of the property has been completed. Click Here For Photographs Of The Rozzel Farm Click here for Development Options
10. Consideration Of An Offer To Purchase The Torrence Lytle School. 302 Holbrooks Road, Huntersville, N.C. The Commission has received an offer to purchase the Torrence Lytle School. It has also received bids for the environmental cleanup of the buildings.
11. Old Business.
12. New Business.