The Historic Landmarks Commission will meet on Monday, September 11 at 6pm. This will be a hybrid meeting and visitors should plan to access the meeting remotely. If you need special accommodations, please contact the HLC office at 980-314-7660.
For those interested in speaking at the meeting, please register by 4pm on September 11 by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: Registration in advance is required to make public comments.
1. Adoption of the Consent Agenda
a. Approval of August HLC Minutes
2. Chair’s Report: Brian Clarke
3. Public Comment Period
Registration in advance is required to make public comments. Public comments can be up to 3 minutes per person and there will be no response from Commissioners.
4. Proposed Modification to the Current Recommendation for the John Connelly and Nancy Blythe Abernethy House, 7040 Pleasant Grove Road, Charlotte
Staff recommends that the HLC consider modifying their current recommendation to Charlotte City Council to reflect a 3.31 acre area around the house to be included in the designation. Staff believes that the 3.31 acres is appropriate and sufficient to preserve the historic setting of the house. The owner is supportive of landmark designation for the house and this proposed new site plan.
Suggested Motion: Revise the HLC’s recommendation to Charlotte City Council to reflect a 3.31 acre parcel around the John Connelly and Nancy Blythe Abernethy House, located at 7040 Pleasant Grove Road, Charlotte, as presented at this meeting.
5. Public Hearing for the John Connelly and Nancy Blythe Abernethy House, 7040 Pleasant Grove Road, Charlotte
The notice for this public hearing advertised that the proposed 3.31 acres would be included in the designation. If the HLC chooses to alter the amount of land to be designated, then a new public hearing is required.
Designation would include the exterior of the building and approximately 3.3 acres of the land listed under Parcel Identification Number 03309401.
6. Establishment of Community Outreach Committee
7. HLC 50th Anniversary Celebration: November 2
8. Financial Report: Stewart Gray
10. Historic Landmarks Staff Report
b. Relocation of the Siloam School to the Charlotte Museum of History
c. Appointment of John Kincheloe as New Commissioner
11. Old Business
12. New Business