Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission


December Events at Ingleside

November 7, 2018

The Historic Landmarks Commission is excited to announce two upcoming events featuring the designated historic landmark, Ingleside, which is located at 7225 Bud Henderson Road, Huntersville, N.C. More information is below on how you can visit this magnificent house and learn more about its history and potential future.

November 1, 2018

The owner of the Victor Shaw House, located at 2400 Mecklenburg Avenue, Charlotte, N.C., has submitted a Certificate of Appropriateness for demolition. 

The house is a Colonial Revival style home in Plaza Midwood. The Commission’s Design Review Committee will discuss the issue at its meeting on Wednesday, November 28. The house is named for Victor Shaw, who was a Mayor of Charlotte. 


October 17, 2018

The Historic Landmarks Commission was hopeful that Martin Marietta, the owner of the McConnell House, would negotiate an option to purchase that would help the Commission find a buyer to preserve this historic landmark. Martin Marietta has decided that the only preservation strategy it will support is to donate the house and have it moved. Anyone who is seriously interested should contact the Commission at 704-376-9115. The information will be passed along to Martin Marietta.

McConnell House

October 15, 2018

The Historic Landmarks Commission has been informed that the Victor Shaw House at 2400 Mecklenburg Avenue, Charlotte, N.C., in the Club Acres section of Plaza Midwood has been listed for sale.

Victor Shaw House

The Colonial Revival style house was built in the late 1920s. In 1944 it became the home of Victor Shaw, the Mayor of Charlotte from 1949 until 1953. Shaw was responsible for convincing the Charlotte City Council to build the Charlotte Coliseum and Ovens Auditorium on E. Independence Blvd. The house is on a 2.9 acre lot. Stay tuned for developments. 

October 15, 2018

Mecklenburg County’s Board of County Commissioners did not approve the Historic Landmarks Commission’s option to purchase the Excelsior Club. This means that the owner has the right to demolish the building, if she so chooses, after June 2019.

Excelsior Club