Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission

Rogers-McConnell House, 119 Gilead Rd, Huntersville

Built in 1908, this parcel was once part of the “J. Mc.” and Jennie Holbrook’s property along the block of then-College St. Old deeds show that Ned Beard, a general store merchant, and his wife, Ida built the house. Construction included concrete block masonry—built on site, two at a time—to build the exterior of the house, in an American Foursquare-esque style. Design blog, The Old House Guy said, “Decorative concrete blocks were the rage in house building from about 1890’s to the 1930’s.” This style was considered very modern. “They were very popular for foundations and garages,” Margaret Bond confirms, ”and in rural areas they were used for small commercial buildings, gas stations, and churches.”

Stewart Gray, Senior Preservation Planner of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission, believes it may be the only of its kind to still stand in Mecklenburg County. The house still has an exterior door to the kitchen next to the back door of the home. The original bathroom was added decades later.

Lewis McConnell and his wife Lollie Rogers McConnell lived here from at least 1940 until their deaths, in 1973 and 1969, respectively. (Lollie inherited the house from her mother, Mary Rogers). During the 1940s and 50s, Mr. McConnell was the superintendent of North Carolina Prison Camp #1 (located on the now-DMV property), which operated until the 1990s.

The McConnells’ step-great-granddaughter owns the private home.

“Beard, Ned.” 1910 US Federal Census.
Bond, M. E. “The History of Rusticated Concrete Block.”
Hallman, Amy. Personal Interview. 7 July 2022.
Roginski, Ken. “Decorative Concrete Block.” The Old House Guy. 2018.