Montaldo's. UTM: 17
514457E 3898128N The Montaldo's Building was
constructed in two phases. The northern or original section rose
sometime between 1926 and 1934. The southern or later portion
appeared in the 1950s. Architect Louis Asbury designed the
original portion, and his son, Louis Asbury, Jr., was architect for the
later addition. Montaldo's was an upscale clothing store for women.
It illustrates the role of Tryon St. as a major location of street level
shops in the middle years of the twentieth century. Stylistically,
the building harkens to Classical Greece and Rome. The arched
entryway to the northern section and the statuary atop the southern
section bear dramatic witness to this truth.