AND RESEARCH REPORT
1928 Yandell Building,
325 - 329 Main Street Pineville
1. Name and location of
The1928 Yandell Building is located at 325- 329 Main Street, Pineville,
2. Name and address of
the present owner of the property:
The present owner of the
W. A. Yandell Rental and Investment Co.
PO Box 386
Pineville, NC 28134
photographs of the property:
This report contains
representative photographs of the property. Photographs are available at
the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission office.
4. Maps depicting the location of the property:
This report contains a map depicting the location of the property.
5. Current deed book
reference to the property:
The most recent deed to this property is recorded in Mecklenburg County
Deed Book 02036
on page 293. The tax parcel number of the property is 22106102.
6. A brief historical
sketch of the property:
This report contains a brief historical sketch of the property.
7. A brief architectural
description of the property:
This report contains a brief
architectural description of the property.
8. Documentation of why
and in what ways the property meets criteria for designation set forth
in N. C. G. S. 160A-400.5:
Special significance in terms of its history, architecture,
and/or cultural importance: The Commission judges that the property
known as the
1928 Yandell Building
does possess special significance in terms of Charlotte-Mecklenburg. The
Commission bases its judgment on the following considerations:
1) The 1928 Yandell Building is significant as it
holds an important and prominent position in the town’s historic
2) The original site of
McCoy’s Barbershop and an
early site of the office of W. A. Yandell, this building has strong
association with the social and political history of the Town of
3) The 1928 Yandell
Building has a close association with W.A. “Willie” Yandell, a
business man who was instrumental in the non-textile
commercial development of the town of Pineville during
the twentieth century, building and owning much of the
town’s commercial core.
b. Integrity of design,
setting, workmanship, materials, feeling and/or association:
The Commission contends that
the physical and architectural description which is included in this
report demonstrates that the 1928 Yandell Building meets this criterion.
9. Ad Valorem tax
Commission is aware that designation would allow the owner to apply for
an automatic deferral of 50% of the Ad Valorem taxes on all or any
portion of the property which becomes a designated "historic landmark."
The current total appraised tax value of the land and improvements is
$1,010,400. 325-329 Main Street occupies 4,700 square feet of the 20,105
total square feet of improvements on the tax parcel.
10. Portion of property
recommended for designation:
A portion of the exterior of the building including the westernmost two
storefront, 327 South Main and 329 South Main, the land on which the
building sits, and the
sidewalk directly in front of the building as shown on the attached map
are recommended for historic designation.
Date of preparation of
this report: May
Stewart Gray and Hope Murphy
1928 Yandell Building
Pineville, North Carolina is located approximately eleven miles south of
the city of Charlotte. The small town had its beginnings as a
train stop when the South Carolina Railroad opened a depot in 1852.
The town, incorporated in 1873, became a busy center for agricultural
support and textiles in the next few decades.
In 1890 businessmen from Charlotte opened the Dover Yarn Mill in
Pineville. By the time the Mill had added a weaving department in
1902 over two hundred people were employed at the Mill.
the population of Pineville reached 700, most residents were involved in
some way with the cotton industry. Those not employed by the mill
labored as cotton farmers. Autumn would bring farmers to Main
Street where they would form long lines in order to have their cotton
ginned. Saturdays would also bring farmers to town shop, pay
debts, or trade mules.
most of its history the south side of Main Street has been owned by the
Yandell family. W.A. “Willie” Yandell began acquiring land on the
south side of Main Street beginning in 1919. In that year he
purchased one half acre from C.H. Griffin and his wife Rana
During the next four years Yandell acquired additional Main Street
frontage from the Wherry and Bailes families.
In a 1987 interview in the Charlotte Observer Willeen Yandell, W.A.’s
daughter, recounted that when her father arrived in Pineville in 1912
Main Street was only a wagon path. The elder Yandell, recognized
that the growing town needed services like grocery stores and began to
Street was extended in 1927 when a bridge was built over the nearby Big
Sugar Creek. The road became part of the primary route between
Charlotte and Columbia, South Carolina. Yandell, realized a boom in his
burgeoning business when work crews arrived in Pineville to begin work
on the project. Yandell recounted to newspaper reporter Joe
Flanders in the 1960’s that he remembers the day shortly before
Christmas of 1927 when the road contractor arrived in Pineville.
He had 50 teams of mules and enough men to run them. Faced with
no place to house his men, never mind the mules the contractor turned to
Yandell, already one of Pineville’s most prominent businessmen.
For the year that it took to build the bridge and attached road Yandell
housed men at his hotel on the corner of Main and Culp Street, and found
space to feed and keep the mules.
1930’s Main Street remained only one of two paved streets in Pineville,
the other being Polk Street. In June of 1929 the business owners
along Main Street petitioned the Mayor of the town and Board of Alderman
to “grade and pave” the street. The property owners, Mr. Yandell
the largest with 250 feet of frontage, agreed to pay one-quarter of the
cost of the project.
By the 1930’s Pineville housed along its two block business district:
five general stores, a dime store, a drug store, a doctor’s office,
hardware store, pool room, livery stable, blacksmith, post office,
icehouse, movie theatre, and funeral home.
Joe Griffin recounts that as a young boy in Pineville, during the
1930’s, most people who lived in or near Pineville shopped on Main
Trips to uptown Charlotte rare in the 1930’s, became more so during
World War II when gas became rationed.
Griffin recounts that the sidewalk on either side of Main Street was
about four feet wide. Tress and grass were planted between the
sidewalk and the road. This grassy strip served as a place for the
stores to display items on nice days.
During the 1930’s the south side of Main Street, had a barbershop, a
theater, and a post office. There was also a grocery store run by
Yandell, over which there were hotel rooms, Yandell’s business office
was next door.
Main Street Pineville 1915
Tom Eubanks, who grew up in the residential section of Main Street
recounts that the character of the business district remained intact
until the 1960’s, and changed most radically in the 1980’s.
Eubanks recalls that cotton-laden mule-drawn carts still often lined
Main Street after he returned from the Korean War in 1954.
As Charlotte grew, some of Pineville’s small town character began to
wane. In 1972 Pineville was home to 2000 people within its one square
mile corporate limits. The erection of apartment complexes, malls, and
the Carowinds amusement park three miles west of the city brought
traffic congestion to the sleepy business center.
Charlotte Observer article posits that the shift in the type of retail
stores located along Main Street began in 1983. In that year the
W.A. Yandell Rental and Investment Co. rented 329 Main Street to
Betty Hiltz. She opened the China Connection, an antiques store.
Within five years every address on the South side of Main Street, except
two, was occupied by antique stores.
In an act
that signaled the end of Pineville’s rural character, Tom Eubanks helped
a local farmer remove his cows from the land on which the Carolina Mall
would be erected. The massive commercial development that followed along
Highway 51 between Pineville and Matthews, the expansion of the City of
Charlotte up to and around the boundaries of Pineville, and the
completion of the nearby I-485 beltway connecting to Interstate 77, have
transformed much of the area around Pineville into a largely suburban
Retaining a high degree of physical integrity, the buildings along Main
Street are now rare and significant artifacts that can tell us much
about the town of Pineville’s history.
325 - 329 Main Street
in the 1930’s, 325-329 Main Street housed the local movie theater.
Located at 325 Main Street, The State Theater was run by J.O. Childers
and his wife. Mr. Childers, like many of the other business men in
downtown Pineville, extended his business connections in the community
into civic ones. In the 1940’s Childers served on the
Pineville Board of Commissioners. Along with other Main Street
business leaders like C. H. McCoy and Gene Neal, Childers was part of the volunteer
fire fighter department that was founded in April of 1942.
Griffin, who was born in 1933, recounts going to see movies there as a
child. Westerns were always shown there on Saturdays.
Tickets were purchased at a window outside the theatre; to see a movie
children under twelve paid nine cents, older children and adults paid a
The theatre was described with humor by Tom Eubanks as “extremely
small.” The small Pineville population didn’t need a larger space to
accommodate its movie going habits.
Keeping with traditions of that time, the building was segregated.
Blacks sat in a balcony and whites down below.
Childers, along with their young son Jimmy, also lived on Main Street.
They occupied rooms in the Yandell hotel a few doors down from the
Mr. Robert Davis, a longtime resident of Pineville, remembers the
theater operating at that location until the 1950’s. He posits
that spreading television ownership may have put the theater out of
Street was the home, for many years beginning in the 1930’s, of C. H “Bo”
McCoy’s Barbershop. Tom Eubanks recalls making a trip to McCoy’s
barbershop almost every two weeks as a young boy in the 1930’s. He
would climb up on a board that McCoy placed across the arms of the
chair, and receive a haircut for which he paid twenty-five cents.
Griffin, also a boy in the 1930’s, recounts that McCoy’s shop offered a
wide array of services when he was growing up. A man could receive
a shave, haircut, shampoo, shoeshine, even a shower. The shop also
served as a community gathering place for men. Griffin recounts
that men came to catch up on local news, gossip and talk politics.
“You never heard such arguments on politics,” Griffin recounts.
history of Main Street Pineville demonstrates how men of business, in
the small rural towns, also served as political, civic, and religious
leaders. McCoy served as Pineville Mayor from the late 1930’s
until 1955. At that time he was defeated by druggist R. C. Hair, who
owned a popular soda shop and drug store (as well as one of the town’s
first television sets on the side of Main Street opposite McCoy.) McCoy
was appointed mayor again in 1966 to finish out a term vacated by then
Mayor, Hoyt Wigonton. In spite of his very public life Tom Eubanks
describes McCoy as a kind, religious, and very quiet man. Bo
McCoy’s barbershop moved in the early 1950’s to 319 Main Street where it
remained open until the early 1980’s.
Street was originally occupied by W.A. Yandell’s business office.
It was from Yandell’s office, Griffin recounts that local residents
“could get a loan, cash a check, pay rent, or seek legal advice” there
Such services would have been vital in the community who lost its only
bank, Pineville Loan & Savings Company, in 1929 at the outset of the
banking crisis that preceded the Depression.
the 1960s and 1970s the businesses at 325-329 Main
Street varied. The wide variety and relatively short lived nature
of these businesses may reflect Main Street Pineville’s struggle for
place in the rapidly changing and no longer rural landscape. The
storefront at 325 Main, served for two years in the early 1970’s as a
In 1965, 329 Main was occupied by the Triangle Finance Corporation, and
then was unoccupied until 1970 when Clyde’s Appliances, began its short
lived occupation of the space.
Betty Hiltz rented the storefront at 329 Main Street, W.A. Yandell’s
original office. Her occupation of the space signaled a major
shift in the character of Main Street. Ten months later the
Antique Cupboard opened next door. By 1989 all of the storefronts
in the building at 325-329 Main Street would be occupied by antique
dealers, an occupant pattern that still exists.
 Paul Archambault and Dan Morrill,
“Pineville Survey, Final Report,” The Charlotte-Mecklenburg
Historic Landmarks Commission, November 2004.
 Joe Howard Griffin, Sr. “My Hometown
Pineville, History, Hearsay, Memories and Scrapbook of
Pineville,” Unpublished manuscript.
 Mecklenburg County Deed Book
412, p. 377.
 Mecklenburg County Deed Book 458,
p. 445 and Deed Book 488, p.332.
 Pat Borden Gubbins, “The Changing Face of
Downtown Pineville,” The Charlotte Observer, February 15,
1987, Mecklenburg Neighbors Section, p. 10.
 Joe Flanders, “Mr. Will Remembers that
Bridge,” excerpted in “My Hometown” p. 19.
 Town of Pineville, Board of Alderman
Minutes, June 26, 1929.
 Joe Howard Griffin, Sr. “My Hometown,” p.
 Interview with Tom Eubanks, April 5,
 Tommy Denton, “Pineville Braces for an
Era of Rapid Growth,” Charlotte News, October 12, 1972.
 Paul Archambault and Dan L. Morrill,
“Pineville Survey, Final Report.”
 Town of Pineville, Board of Commissioners
Minutes, April 23, 1942.
 Interview with Lillie Dial, March 9,
 Interview with Robert Davis, March 10,
 Joe Howard Griffin, My Hometown
Pineville, 2nd Edition (Cornelius, NC: Warren
Publishing, 2004), p. 66.
 325 and 327 Main Street often do not show
listings in the Cross Reference Directory. It is believed
that these spaces have often been incorporated or used by
neighboring businesses. Cross Reference Directory, Greater
1964-2002. The Public Library of Charlotte Mecklenburg
County, Carolina Room.
The 1928 Yandell Building is a one-story brick commercial
building composed of three storefronts. The building faces north
and is sited adjacent to a wide sidewalk. The two
westernmost of the storefronts, 327 and 329, have retained a
high degree of integrity. The third storefront, 325, has
been radically altered.
The building is of solid masonry construction with wire-cut
brick laid in a running bond on the facade. A single steel
channel or I-beam runs across both 327 and 329 and serves
as a continuous headers for all of the wall openings. Both
of the intact storefront have a single vent formed by spaced
soldier-bricks, set over the entrances. The top of the
building is defined by a simple parapet with a corbbled cap
composed of two courses of brick. The easternmost section
of the cap is made out of tile, and may have been an original
feature of the now altered facade.
327 Main is the narrower of the two original storefronts.
The storefront has retained it original nine-light, single-panel
door with original or early hardware. A single concrete
step leads into the storefront. Original wooden trim
surrounds two large plate-glass windows which rests on thick
concrete sills. An original transom opening is covered with a
sheet of plywood.
Very similar to 327, 329 Main Street is the wider of the two
storefronts. An original single-light wooden door has
retained its original trim and early hardware. The door is
topped with a single-light fixed transom. Plate glass windows
flank the entrance. The original wooden trim around the
windows has been replaced with metal trim. The wire-cut
brick has been painted.
Abutted on both sides by other store-front buildings, much of
the side elevations are covered. The partially-exposed
east elevation features a parapet that steps down five times
following the slope of the composite roof as it slopes to the
rear. The exposed section of the east
elevation and the rear elevation demonstrate the common-bond
brick construction of the building with six layers of stretchers
between each layer of headers. Currently there are two
doors opening into the rear of the building. Another door
opening and a wide window opening on the rear elevation have