The Historic Landmarks Commission will meet
next on January 12, 2009, in its offices in the
Ratcliffe-Otterbourg House at 2100
Randolph Road, Charlotte, N.C. The meeting shall commence at 6:00 p.m.
Anyone needing assistance should contact the Historic Landmarks Commission
beforehand at 704-376-9115.
1. Approval of Minutes. Click
Here For Minutes
2. Chairman's Report.
Richard Alsop, III
3. Director's Report. Dan L. Morrill
Click Here For Director's Report
4. Design Review Committee Report. Matt Benson
Click Here For Minutes
a. Consideration Of A Certificate Of
Appropriateness For An Addition To The Auditorium Of Garinger High School
(1100 Eastway Drive).
The Design Review Committee is not presenting
a recommendation. The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools has presented
three alternatives for the design and placement of the building. The
Commission will consider these alternatives at the meeting. Matt
Benson and Richard Mattson will have visited the site.
Click Here For Agenda Of The Design
5. Survey Committee Report. Richard Mattson
a. Public Hearing To Consider
Recommending The Carolina Rim And Wheel Building (306 North Graham Street)
For Designation As A Historic Landmark.
Click Here For Survey and Research
6. Projects Committee Report. Gray Newman
a. Sandifer House. 12601
Moore's Chapel Road. The owners of the Sandifer House continue to be
interested in discussing a possible sale of the property to the Commission.
They have been asked to develop a price. They have asked that the
Commission submit an offer. This matter will be discussed
in executive session.
Click Here For Survey and Research Report.
b. McQuay House. 3200 Tuckaseegee
Road. The owner of the McQuay House has agreed in principle to donate
the house and its lot to the Commission. The owner has also developed
a sales price for the additional land associated with the house.
Click Here For Video On The House. The Commission will need to go into
executive session to discuss this matter.
Click Here For Survey And Research Report.
c. The Robert and Elizabeth Smith
House. 1708 Park Road. A majority of the Executive Committee
authorized staff to submit a contingency offer to purchase the house at 1708
Park Road. The owners have accepted the contingency offer. This
would be an expansion of the scope of the revolving fund, because the house
is a contributing property in a local historic district, not an individual
Click Here For Video On The House.
The house was built in 1922. The
architect was Frederick L. Bonfoey (1869-1933), who came to Charlotte in
1908 and specialized in the design of bungalows. The original owners
were Robert J. Smith and his wife Elizabeth. He was assistant manager
for the John C. Shepherd Lumber Co.
The Commission will need to go into executive
session to discuss this matter.